Non-NHS Services

Medical examinations for HGV and PSV licenses, and any medical for pre-employment purposes are not paid for by the NHS, and the Doctors are entitled to charge the normal British Medical Association fee. Some insurance forms such as certificates for elderly driver's insurance appear deceptively simple but often require a full medical examination for their completion.

Examinations of this nature take time, and it is sensible to tell the receptionist the purpose of the visit to the doctor so that they can book an appropriate amount of time. The normal BMA rate will be charged, which should be paid at the time of examination. Examinations for Life Insurance purposes also need special appointments, but in this case the fee is usually payable by the Life Insurance company concerned. A list of all fees that the doctors are entitled to charge is displayed in Reception and the waiting room.


The number of forms doctors are being asked to complete is growing rapidly. In some cases someone other than the doctor can sign the form for you, so please check beforehand.

Private Medical Insurance claim forms can be signed by your doctor or by your specialist. Certificates for school should be signed by a parent. Certificates for sickness for periods of less than a week should usually be signed by the sick person themselves using form SC1 available at reception. A medical certificate is not normally required. Holiday cancellation insurance does not need a doctor's letter, it will need an official claim form obtainable from your insurers. Most of these forms have a medical section which can be completed by your doctor.

The vast majority of these forms are not covered by doctor's terms of service, and they may be entitled to charge a fee. Please ask at reception if you are unsure. We also ask if forms can be given to the surgery some days in advance of when they are needed to give us time to process them.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website